Monday, October 11, 2010

Finlandia (aka Gweddi dros Gymru/Prayer for Wales)

performed by John Eifion and Côr Penyberth
music composed by Jean Sibelius
words by Lewis Valentine

This past Sunday I was supposed to be playing the hymn "Be Still my Soul" for my ward's (LDS church congregation) Relief Society meeting. Out of nowhere I got sick on Saturday (usually I see it coming because my brother has a knack for getting me sick) and the cough syrup my dad gave me Sunday morning made me way too groggy to go to church. I was totally bummed because I was looking forward to playing this beautiful hymn that uses the melody from "Finlandia" by Sibelius . Some time ago I decided to do a little digging around to find out more about the hymn's melody and that eventually led me to this Welsh masterpiece:


text from "Be Still my Soul":
1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

lyrics in Welsh for "Gweddi dros Gymru":
Dros Gymru'n gwlad, O Dad, dyrchafwn gri,
y winllan wen a roed i'n gofal ni;
d'amddiffyn cryf a'i cadwo'n ffyddlon byth,
a boed i'r gwir a'r glân gael ynddi nyth;
er mwyn dy Fab a'i prynodd iddo'i hun,
O crea hi yn Gymru ar dy lun.
O deued dydd pan fo awelon Duw
yn chwythu eto dros ein herwau gwyw,
a'r crindir cras dan ras cawodydd nef
yn erddi Crist, yn ffrwythlon iddo ef,
a'n heniaith fwyn â gorfoleddus hoen
yn seinio fry haeddiannau'r addfwyn Oen.


No comments:

Post a Comment